Monday, January 29, 2007

I am a walking bruise


It's been two days since I went snowboarding for the first time. I hurt everywhere. My Austrian friend Stefan and I went with a tour group of mostly foreigners to a ski resort called Phoenix Park, located a couple of hours from Seoul. After about 10 minutes of instruction from Stefan, we set out on the easy slope. It was really crowded, and I still don't see how I avoided killing anyone. It took me over an hour to make it all the way to the bottom. I fell time and time again, but it was so much fun! After my third painful time down the slope, I wised up and bought wristguards and kneepads. I couldn't afford buttpads, though I could've used them.

Each time I descended the mountain, it got easier and easier, and by the evening I was only falling down a couple of times per run. I'm so proud of myself, because I went down the intermediate slope a few times, and Stefan was very impressed, saying I was a natural. Maybe he was just humoring me, but it gave me the motivation to keep climbing back on the lift and battering my body over and over again. I have the bruises to prove it, and I can barely move, but it was worth it. I can't wait to go again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the day I tried to ski Sugar Loaf in New Hampshire/Maine...never again.

Glad you made it though!!

Papa Worry

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the day I tried to ski Sugar Loaf in New Hampshire/Maine...never again.

Glad you made it though!!

Papa Worry

Anonymous said...

What do you expect?? Of course you're a natural... your brother was damn near a pro-skateboarder!! Or at least he thought he was... at 13. Keep it up!!