Sunday, July 23, 2006

Fort Lee, New Jersey

I write from Josh Dickinson and his girlfriend Philomena's co-op in Fort Lee, New Jersey. They are kind enough to take pity on my poor (literally) soul and let me stay with them. I am stuck waiting for a flight out of NY, and can't afford to keep staying at a hostel indefinitely. Josh and Phil's place isn't far from Manhattan. In fact, last night after eating delicious Vietnamese food at a joint called Mo'pho, we drove to a lookout spot not far from their house where you can get an awesome view of the George Washington Bridge and upper Manhattan. I took a couple of night photos (which I will try to post soon as I figure out how to transfer photos to Josh's Mac), then put away my camera. Lucky for me, because the next guy who walked up to take photos got approached by a flashlight-wielding cop wanting to know why he was taking photos of the G.W. Bridge. I guess the beautiful nocturnal view of the city lights wasn't obvious to the cop, who cited anti-terrorism as the reason for harassing this man. He told him that the G.W. Bridge is a possible target and that photography from that overlook was by permit only, though there was no sign stating that anywhere. The man told him he was from Germany, and the hostile cop demanded proof and then even searched the guy's car. Josh commented that they need to give cops elementary lessons on photography, since no regular-use digital camera could ever capture enough detail for those purposes. Besides, couldn't anyone get pics of the bridge off the internet if they really wanted to?
I have a phone interview tomorrow for a job in South Korea. I'm hoping to fly out on Tuesday for Italy if all works out.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK- so I'm still a little pissed at you for leaving me, but mostly jealous I think. ;-) Elliot says hi and we all miss you already. ~Jme

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

y dont u think of national secuity too,when there r threats for ur nation u have to abid eby rules,and if u hve a detailed pic its better not to post the pic,i am from india & idont know abt how prominent the bridge ur talking abt is,but i know tht there were 7 bomb blasts killing 250 people & injuring more than 500 in a single day that happened last week in our nation.

viajera said...

readersdais:
How detailed of a pic can you get at night w/ a pocket-sized digital camera from a couple miles away? Be sensible...if someone really wanted info on that bridge they wouldn't be taking a photo at night, they'd be getting info off the internet, or at LEAST be using a high-quality camera. And about following the rules, nowhere was it posted that you can't take pics. In fact, people take pics from that lookout all the time. We saw at least 3 other people taking pics before that cop walked up.

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

readerdais:
Hilarious observation. I took a picture of a plane once flying over my house and a terorist cell approached me wanting to buy the photo for some "plot" they were scheming. Due to national security concerns I denied them the pleasure of using my photo and I am sure I thwarted a national disaster. Look...It's idiotic comments like that which make the stereotype of people like you even more solid. Are you sure you want to relate a person taking a picture of a bridge (at NIGHT nonetheless)to being linked to terrorists? Give me a freaking break.....

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»