Friday, July 28, 2006

Rome and Vatican City


My first evening in Rome, Leslie, her mom Beth and I walked past the Colosseum, the Roman Forum and various runs to Piazza Navona, where we ate a delicious dinner (tortellini for me, fettuccini alfredo for Les and Beth) complete with some of the best Pinot Grigio I've ever had. Everything's better in Italy, even the water. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but the atmosphere definitely adds a romantic air to even a quick walk to an internet cafe.

It's as hot as Kentucky here, and if you're in the sun, you're dripping with sweat. At least there's a breeze and occasional shady spot.

Yesterday we went to Vatican City. First we toured St. Peter's Basilica, the largest church in the world. Our tour guide was a Yale-educated historical theologian from Louisiana who was not only ssssmokin', he was also giving the tour for the perfect price: free! The Basilica was beautiful, and we got to see Michelangelo's famous Pieta, a statue of Mary holding a full-grown Christ on her lap. In the seventies, a Bulgarian attacked the statue with a hammer, breaking off Mary's nose and Jesus' toes. Visitors to the Basilica ran off with the pieces but eventually returned most of them. They were able to repair the statue, and today you can hardly see the damage. Now they have bulletproof glass shielding it.

After a cheap sandwich for lunch, we headed to the Vatican Museum, where we saw the Sisteen Chapel. We weren't supposed to take pictures, but I snuck a few in. I'm posting all my pics on Snapfish, and if I haven't invited you to look at them, drop me a line and I'll send you an invite.
On our way home from Vatican City, we saw the Pantheon, which was built 2000 years ago, as well as Trevi Fountain.

Last night we went to an outdoor opera a block from our apartment. They were putting on The Magic Flute, and though I'm not a huge Opera fan, I loved it! The cast's voices were incredible, the setting was spectacular, and the orchestra music was enchanting. It was in garden complete with arches, columns and a fountain. A church stood on one side of the garden, and there were candles everywhere. The opera was in German, so I got a little practice trying to understand the storyline.

Les and I went to a bar late last night and chatted it up with some young Swedes for a couple of hours before coming home and crashing at 3 am.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Pieta has always been one of my favorite sculptures. Thanks for showing it to me through your eyes.

Anonymous said...

You're in Europe? Huh... Didn't even know you were gone. ;) Have a safe trip and don't forget about us losers back in the states...

Anonymous said...

Hey Puna. You took off on this lovely adventure without saying good-bye. :( I love the blog and I am jealous of your trek through Europe.

P.S. Hi Leslie :)