Saturday, August 19, 2006

From fly to bee infestation

In Italy, they have a serious fly problem. The person who introduces fly paper to the Italians will be a billionaire. You can't sit down at a meal without being swarmed by flies, and eventually one learns to identify with the poor starving African children seen on television who allow them to feast uncontested on their crusty eyes. Resistance is futile. Just as I was getting used to the constant crawl of flies over my bare skin at every meal I ate, I left Italy (yes, it took me two and a half weeks, being the spoiled American that I am).

Here in Germany, the number of flies is negligible. Instead they have bees. I must say that I prefer the bees. Though mildly threatening, their slower, meandering flights offer many more opportunities to swat successfully, and besides that, they don't crawl on you.

Last night Uschi's daughter Isabella and her best friend Anna took me out to a couple of clubs so that we could dance to 'black' music. They don't mince words here. Even the DJ said it. They don't use the German word for black (schwarz), either. The wierd thing is that latin pop music (like Shakira) somehow falls into this category, from what I can tell.

We danced til 4 am at a club in Heilbronn called MusikPark, at which point I thought my feet were going to burst from throbbing. I need a foot massage.

They only have dial-up here, so it'll be a few days before I can get photos up of the 20 ft.-long wooden penis that Isabella showed me in Heilbronn's citycenter last night. Now THAT'S art.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

So, how long before you're donning black Levi's, carrying a zippered pencil pouch, and sending us emails IN ALL CAPS from your Hotmail account?

I knew you'd assimilate effortlessly :)

Have fun; miss ya!

PapaD said...

Bees! Oh, yes, the bees. I brag on Germany here, saying how there are few insects. Windows open, doors and fresh air always. I forgot about the bees bee-ing everywhere. And, not a soul pays attention to them.
Well, stay away from the bees and the "THAT'S" art...or whatever you call it.

Anonymous said...

Was the statue of the 'black' variety? Wow... didn't mean to say that. Hope you are doing well. And find a damn job already... "germany has a 10% unemployment rate!" Blah, blah, blah... At least there aren't 10 million mexicans looking for the same job as you like the landscaping job I'm trying to land or that Taco Bell line cook position I've always wanted...

Anonymous said...

A cetain cartoon character came to mind after reading this blog... Woody Woodpecker! :) By the way, love the tiger phone.