Friday, August 11, 2006

In den Bergen


This morning something amazing happened to me. I came to a crosswalk and two cars were coming, from opposite directions. There were no stopsigns. BOTH of the cars stopped to let me cross. I almost didn't know what to do. Then I remembered that I am no longer in Italy, one of the most pedestrian-unfriendly countries I have visited (again, the similarities between Italy and Latin America are astounding).
I am in Interlaken, Switzerland.

It felt like coming home yesterday when I arrived from Milan to a Swiss train station. Finally, I can understand what people are saying to me! My German is coming back to me quickly, and I'm amazed at how quickly I remembered how to order a beer.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer by way of photos of the dreaded mullet, which I described in my last post (by the way, Dad, a mullet is a haircut with short hair on the top and sides, with long hair in the back. I'm sure you've seen many examples in Henderson. Business up front, party in the back. Another name for this is a Kentucky Waterfall.). I do have photos of banana hammocks, but I don't think they're appropriate for my high-class blog.

One more quick note about Italian hairstyles: dreaded rattails. 'Nuff said.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mullets, rat tails, man thighs, bananna hammocks?? The scary thing is that Italy is supposed to be the fashion mecca. Scary... Stay safe!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Did you say Rat tails?!?! Sign me up! No wonder you never want to come back to the US!