Tuesday, September 12, 2006

My sauna experience

The other day I had time to kill, so I went to a Korean sauna. The one I went to was a little pricey ($15, whereas typically they cost $4-$7), but when you hear what I got for it, you'll agree it was worth it.
They gave me a thin robe and sent me into a big cone-shaped stone room that was extremely hot (as I know saunas should be, but I felt like my nostrils and lungs were literally burning). It had a reed mat floor and as I came in through the tiny door they handed me a burlap sack to sit on. I could only stand being in there for about 10 minutes. I thought I was going to suffocate.

When I came out, a tiny woman (not a midget, just a Korean woman) led me to a floormat where I laid down on my back and she placed a cold wet towel on my face. I laid there for a good 20 minutes. I thought my sauna experience was over. But no, the woman got me up and had me go back into the stone cone again. I lasted another 10 minutes, and when I came out, she led me to the shower room. I showered off and started to leave the room. The woman stopped me and pointed me in the direction of three huge jacuzzis. The first was all bubbly: a warm ginseng bath. The second: a warm green tea bath. The third: a cold 'calcon' bath with a bucket of cucumbers floating in water next to it. Not sure what the cucumbers were for, but the bath felt good. In between each bath, I showered off. After the third shower, another naked Korean lady led me into ANOTHER sauna adjacent to the shower room. This one was smaller and not cone-shaped, and the tile walls were sizzling hot. I stayed in about 5 minutes, then headed out for my last shower, where I washed up and scrubbed my feet with a pumice stone lent to me by a different little woman.

After it was all over, I exited the shower room, where a lady toweled me off (ALL of me) impersonally and wrapped my head, sending me back to my locker. Then as I was dressing at my locker, another woman stopped me and pulled me over to the powder room, where they had all manner of hair products, lotions, oils, brushes, q-tips, you name it.

The whole experience lasted over 2 hours. I'd say that was money well spent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's official... I hate you. Posh hotels, saunas, naked chicks drying you off... Go to hell...
Love ya! ;)

Anonymous said...

Someone's jealous, huh?
I really enjoy reading about your experiences! Thanks for sharing:)